DCDayTripper

Saturday, February 01, 2014

1 February 2014 ~ Green-Lipped Mussels

Listening to: Steely Dan ~ Do It Again (3/20/1974, LA)

Here is a video clip of the Explorer Sailing Experience.

http://youtu.be/xsXpVoVpi4Q

After the sailboat ride, I stopped for some refreshments and a snack at the restaurant Degree on the waterfront.

I placed an order for the small portion of green-lipped mussels in a garlic/butter/wine sauce, as they are currently in season.

The "small" order was still a bucket that had about 20 mussels in it!



The were quite delicious and filling. (I'm getting hungry and may need to go out for more today.)


Green lipped mussels are a type of shellfish which are found only on the shores of New Zealand. They owe their name to their appearance-the edges of their two shells (where they meet when they are closed together) have a green color thus giving them the visual resemblance of green lips.

Here is a picture to highlight the green-lip.


I was curious on the nutritional value, and I found they are high in protein, low in fat, and an excellent source of B12 and omega-3 fatty acids, about 13% of daily vitamin C and 22% of iron recommendations.

No mussels went to waste, as the table next to me asked how they were and I offered them a taste.

As I was leaving I came across this advertisement for Sailor Jerry rum. Always a good choice for mai tais and on the rocks daiquiris.