DCDayTripper

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

25 November 2014 ~ Back from Vacation

Listening to: Mance Lipscomb ~ Night Time is the Right Time

I'm back!!! I had a fantastic and amazing trip to South Africa and Zambia. The itinerary included 5 nights in Cape Town, then 4 nights at the Sabi Sands game reserve Exeter, and then 3 nights at Toka Leya lodge on the Zambezi River in Livingstone, Zambia, near Victoria Falls.

I don't even know where to start with the photos (and I've barely even looked at them all) or the stories so I guess I will start at the beginning.

Here I am enjoying a glass of champagne on the flight leaving San Francisco. No, that isn't a creepy guy peering over the seat, it's my co-workers spouse (she was taking the picture).



Eight people went to Cape Town, and then 6 continued. Of the eight, 6 of us work at Workday and two spouses joined along.

In Cape Town we rented a 5 bedroom apartment in an area called Bloubergstrand, along the shores of Table Bay. The name Bloubergstrand literally means "blue mountain beach" in Afrikaans.

Here is the very first picture I took from the apartment looking at Table Mountain.


Afrikaans is a West Germanic language spoken in South Africa, Namibia and, to a lesser extent, Botswana and Zimbabwe. It is an offshoot of several Dutch dialects spoken by the mainly Dutch settlers of what is now South Africa, where it gradually began to develop independently in the 18th century.

We went shopping and made dinner the first night.



A view of the dining room.


And a view of the pool, hot tub, and pool table area.