DCDayTripper

Thursday, August 10, 2006

8/10/06 ~ Quote of the Week

On the Rio: Koko Taylor ~ Yes, It's Good For You

I bought a Time magazine today, something I usually don't read, but I came across a quote I actually agree with. In an article on Iraq, U.S. Colonel Hammes described the current basic and undeniable problem regarding the U.S. strategy there: "Talking about a new strategy is useless until we get a new team -- in the Pentagon, in the Administration. These guys have screwed up everything. They haven't got the credibility to implement anything."

Enough of politics, let's move on to global corporate domination. Here is a picture of the beverages in my mini bar. Without reading any Chinese, I bet everyone can identify the logos.


And today's front page news story was that the Chuansha Town in Shanghai is being relocated to make room for, oh no, just what the world needs, Shanghai Disneyland. It is scheduled to open in 2010 when Shanghai hosts the World Expo. I didn't even know those happened anymore. Where and when was the last World Expo and what is the purpose? I'll need to google this...

Typhoon Saomai is expected to hit China mainland today. Current wind speeds were 135 mph. The area of landfall is half-way between Shanghai and Hong Kong, so about a 90 minute airplane ride south of me. It was quite windy walking home from work today, but the weather forecast here just calls for thunderstorms through the weekend.