DCDayTripper

Thursday, January 11, 2007

1/11/2007 ~ My Chinese Name

On the Rio: Kate Bush ~ Breathing


My team has given me a Chinese name, Bo Xin Rei, based somewhat on my current name and perceived personality.


Bo, because it's close to Boke, Xin means 'happy' and Rei means 'lucky'.


What do you think? I like it. And even better, I can pronounce it. They laughed when I mentioned some family members already refer to me as "lucky laurie".


Without internet at the apartment (which now they say may not be restored before the end of the month) I have some time to study Chinese. I might be able to put a meaningful sentence together soon.


Grocery shopping is funny here, as the locals always "peek" into your grocery basket to see what the lǎo wài (foreigner) is buying. But last night the girls in the check out line behind me actually picked up and examined my "strange" purchases. And what were these strange purchases I was making? A can of peas and chicken broth. I almost felt like touching their puchases right back, but just smiled at them instead.


Here's a picture of me last month from the hairy crab excursion at a tea house.