DCDayTripper

Friday, August 09, 2013

9 Aug 2013 ~ Marble Arch

Listening to: Van Morrison ~ And It Stoned Me


I traveled to London this past week (and am heading back next).

I stayed near the Marble Arch tube (train) station.


Named for an area of London as well as the arch there, which was designed in 1825. The arch was dismantled in 1850 when the new east range of Buckingham Palace was constructed. Three small rooms inside the rebuilt arch were used as a police station from 1851 until at least 1968.


The bronze sculpture on the lower left is of Ghengis Khan is 16 feet tall by artist Dashi Namdakov. The other statue is actually an upside-down horses head, but from the back. I  may need to go back and get a better photo!


Tried a local brew...Fuller's London Pride.


I didn't have time to be a tourist at all this trip, so hopefully I'll have some free time in the upcoming one.