DCDayTripper

Monday, August 25, 2014

25 August 2014 ~ Healdsburg, CA

Listening to: Oh, Rose ~ Prom


Had lunch over the weekend in Healdsburg at Taverna Sophia.



Obviously not crowded, but a nice outside ambiance. I ordered dolmas for appetizer and a Greek salad with gyro meat on top. It's hard to find Turkish doner, so this may be my next quest. I did find sour cherry juice (vişne suyu in Turkish or Ващна in Russian) recently in a local grocery store --- admittedly I have not been looker very hard --  and that was a nice treat.



After lunch I took a stroll through the central park.


In the park resides an 1847 millstone from the gristmill of Cyrus Alexander. I noted that one of the donors was a Wetzel, some of step-siblings last name.


This statue was to honor the residents of Healdsburg that did not return from WWII.


And here is a large Coast Redwood that was planted in 1924 to welcome the completion of the Redwood Highway from the Golden Gate Bridge to the border with Oregan.

 
 
Oh yes, I did feel the earthquake!