DCDayTripper

Sunday, August 20, 2006

8/20/06 ~ FIBA

The Rio is quite. It is half-time of the International Basketball game of USA vs. China being played in Japan. Shaq was in Shanghai this weekend promoting his new shoe with a Chinese sports company.

It's been a mellow weekend. Lots of phone conversations and (quite funny) messages. I've been working on my puzzle of kites. Here is my progress to date:


















I finished the "Babes in Beijing" book and started the Goldie Hawn book. Even with all the time on my hands, I find myself reading less than usual.

I took a stroll around my neighborhood today. Here is a picture of the Shanghai Lao Zhan, or Old Train Station, from the 1920s, which is now a restaurant. I walk by this every day to work.


Across the street from my hotel is the site of Shanghai's oldest Western settlement - a Jesuit center started by a Chinese Catholic, Paul Xu, in the early 17th century. This Catholic cathedral, St Ignatius, was built in 1910.

And here is a typical statue in front of the shopping mall, next to the Dairy Queen, which although I've been tempted, have not stopped at yet for a blizzard.


I hope this week goes quick at work, for Saturday I am headed back to Hong Kong.