DCDayTripper

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

10/24/06 ~ Roadside Restaurant

On the Rio: Van Morrison ~ Twilight Zone, 6/30/74 Montreaux Jazz Festival

After leaving HuangShan, we had lunch at a roadside restaurant.


Instead of a menu, you go up to a table that has a sample of the available food and tell the waitress (well, actually point at) what you want.

We ordered deep fried squash flowers and breaded bean curd with pork and hot peppers and a mushroom soup that had 8 different locally grown mushrooms. It was quite delicious!

Here is my travel partner PR under the "mushroom umbrellas" when we were still on Huangshan. Unfortunately it was raining really hard and I rushed the picture as to not get my camera wet, but I couldn't pass up a picture of the mushrooms.

We decided to stay away from the live fish in a bucket.

And there was no way I was going to order the turtle.

Even walking around the streets of Shanghai there are vendors selling baby turtles in a bucket. People will tell you they are for pets, but I'm having a hard time believing that.