DCDayTripper

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

1/23/2007 ~ Odds and Ends

On the Rio: Pink Floyd ~ Echoes
Winter in Shanghai is not fun. There isn't any snow, but it is always cloudy and sprinkles most days. I don't think I've seen the sun in over 2 weeks. The temperature averages 40-45 F. So I spend a lot more time indoors, which allowed me set a new record in completing a puzzle (usually it has been taking me 3 months, this one took me 3 weeks).

So, how about those Wizards? Currently they are in first place in the Eastern Conference. The sports channel here usually shows 1 or 2 games every weekend live, so I get to enjoy basketball over coffee and breakfast. Otherwise I try to listen to the Wizards games on the internet during work, but sometimes meetings get in the way. Oh, and I'm in first place in our fantasy basketball league. Go Shanghai China Cats!

I try to get out on the weekends when it isn't raining. Recently I went to Nanjing Pedestrian street while looking for the concert ticket office. Nanjing Road was the first commercial road in Shanghai. In the early 20th century, there were only four department stores along this stretch. Today, it has become the number one place for shopping in the city. Open-air bars, sculptures, and lingering sounds from street musicians enhance the stroll, but the hawkers for watches, fake hand-bags, roller-blades, and whatnot, take away the charm. Plus you must always be on the alert for the pedestrian train that zigzags its way from one end to the other.
Here are 3 pictures I took there.



This is a typical newspaper/magazine stand. I noticed this one because it held 3 bird cages on the top.

Here's a close up of the birds.