DCDayTripper

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

8/24/06 ~ Softdrink?

On the Rio: John Lee Hooker ~ Mr. Lucky

My hotel recently began providing food and beverage vouchers every day worth 100RMB (or $12.50), and for me, usually 1-2 coupons will allow me a free dinner in one of the hotel restaurants.

I was in the hotel Sunflower Cafe the other night, watching World Basketball, having beer and pizza. There was a table of German businessmen near me, having several beers. When it came time to pay, they only had the soft drink beverage vouchers with them. So one of the business guys complains: "But beer is a soft drink. Hard drinks are whiskey and gin."

German logic I can relate to.

A couple times I have been asked if I want ice with my beverage. I have always said no, because it is not advisable to drink the water, hence, no ice. I eventually caught on when a waitstaff asked me if I wanted ice with my beer. I was a little confused, but naturally said no. It finally dawned on me when she brought me a warm beer that when asked if you want a beverage "with ice" they really mean cold. I returned the warm beer and asked for one "with ice".

The weather is still quite hot here. And they are forecasting rain for Hong Kong this weekend - oh, no. My colleague has to go to Thailand for work next week, so she decided to fly with me to Hong Kong and spend Saturday there at the same hotel. That will be fun! I will be there through Monday. I'm ready for a mini-vacation and a day off work.