DCDayTripper

Sunday, February 26, 2012

26 Feb 2012 ~ Wan Chai

Listening to: Leland Sundries ~ Apparitions (The Foundry)

The district of Wan Chai on Hong Kong Island, is one of the most famous, earned by its reputation from its seedy history of bars and bordellos. Although this image has been tempered since the days of 1856 when it was transferred to the Chinese and "Big Number Brothels" (referring to the number on the door) and its rambunctious days as the haunt of U.S. military personnel on R&R during the Vietnam conflict, the district still has it's share of lively nightlife.


Johnston Road was the coastline of Wan Chai before the reclamation project of 1921-29. In the late 1940s, eye-catching signs of tea houses hung over the road. But old-fashioned tea houses rapidly gave way to modern high-rises in the 1990s.


Bird lovers also enjoyed gathering in these old-fashioned tea houses and the birdcages they brought along became decorative features of the place. It is still a popular area for birds and accessories. Here is the local shop I bought Skye's cage and food. (Although I did go to a store one block away for an unpainted nesting box, which she has already chewed and made her "home".)

Ha-I just got an email from my customer that I'm conducting a training for tomorrow. He's asked if we can take a break at 10am to buy concert tickets - - for Lady Gaga!!!

I think I can relate to that! Although, I also understand people are already lined up tonight.