DCDayTripper

Saturday, October 12, 2013

13 October 2013 ~ Auckland Skyline and Waiheke Island Part I

Listening to: Pink Floyd ~ I'm A King Bee (Studio Rehearsal, 1965)

My first Saturday here, my Workday co-workers Marshall and Vivian, and one customer member, Hillary (from the UK) decided to take the 45 minute ferry to Waiheke Island. Waiting to leave on the ferry, I got my first great view of downtown Auckland.

This is the Customs Building.


One view of the skyline. The total population of New Zealand is about 4.2 million, of which almost half live in Auckland. The entire country is smaller in population than several cities I've lived in recently.


A complete skyline view once we were out in the harbour.



I bought some new shoes here. What do you think? I love them!



Arriving at Waiheke Island.



We decided to get an all-day bus pass for 9 NZD. I love the "day trip" slogan on the back.



A hobbit door?


The island itself reminded me of a cross between the US Virgin Islands, with Napa wineries planted on top of it. (Waiheke translates to "Wine Island".)


So far so good! I'm really excited about my NZ adventure!