DCDayTripper

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

13 October 2013 ~ Flying into Lima

Listening to: Ken Booth ~ Puppet on a String

I went to Peru last month. I rarely have a window seat, as I've mentioned previously, but this time I was happy to have a window seat. It offered my first glimpse of the Andes Mountain Range, the longest continental range in the world, about 4300 miles.


According to Wikipedia: "The etymology of the word Andes has been debated. The majority consensus is that it derives from the Quechua word anti (east)...one of the four regions of the Inca Empire.


The Andes mountains host large ore and salt deposits and some of its eastern fold and thrust belt act as traps for commercially exploitable amounts of hydrocarbons. Peru is the second largest exporter of copper in the world (after Chile).



The climate i the Andes varies greatly depending on the latitude, altitude, and proximity to the sea. Lima is virtually bathed in fog. I took a 4 minute video, but it's too large to post here. I'll see if I can get it trimmed for future posting.