DCDayTripper

Friday, August 25, 2006

8/25/06 ~ Restaurants & Jazz

On the Rio: Traffic ~ Pearly Queen

Last night I went out with 3 co-workers from Louisville and one from Yum China to the restaurant Laris. It is quite trendy, on the Bund, with a spectacular view of the water and skyline, including the Pearl Tower. We had tuna sushi with rice and wasabi, crab salad, and goat cheese as appetizers; a nice bottle of French wine; and my entree was slow roast lamb with scallions, tempura mushrooms, and couscous with mint yogurt, and for dessert a nice glass of port. What a wonderful meal.

Today is my co-worker Helen's last day. Our entire team (20 total) went out for traditional Shanghai lunch. I don't know what we all ate, but it was delicious.

Rice isn't usually served with meals at a restaurant, one must ask for it. Also, there are no Chinese fortune cookies served in China.

Leaving work tonight across the street at one of the other malls was a jazz band playing outside under a tent. I stopped to listen for a while. The weather tonight cooled off a bit and there was a breeze.

Check back next week for updates on my trip to Hong Kong.