DCDayTripper

Monday, November 13, 2006

11/13/06 ~ Great Wall Itinerary

On the Rio: Quicksilver Messenger Service ~ The Fool, 6/7/1968, The Fillmore East, NYC

I have survived the 2 day hiking expedition to the Great Wall of China. Much to the surprise of my tour guide who actually had a harder time climbing than I did. I may look out of shape, but I am a founding member of the Extreme Team, no matter which "sport" is the category.

I left Shanghai for Beijing and took the overnight train, leaving at 7pm and arriving the next morning at 7am. It was very comfortable. I had a soft sleeper seat, in a cabin for 4 persons. I actually had a small conversation in "Man-glish" (the combo of Mandarin and English) - with the couple who had the upper bunks - the first succesful one I've had since I've been here.

The cabins are very nice, and we were served a hot dinner (sort of like a beef hot pocket) and then some fruit and muffin for our breakfast. There was a nice dining car, but I didn't go. I had brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and 2 small bottles of red wine. We all went to sleep around 10pm.

My guide, Crystal, and driver met me at the train station. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive to Simatai, the entrance point for my journey.

Here is a picture of the overall Great Wall map. On Saturday I was scheduled to walk from Simatai to Jinshanling. On Sunday I was scheduled to walk at Gubeikou.


Badaling, on the west, is the most popular Great Wall tourist spot. But if one goes there, all you will see in your pictures are heads of other people because it is so crowded.

I know the suspense is killing all of you to see the photos, but I am so exhausted, that I must postpone more until tomorrow....