DCDayTripper

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

11/21/06 ~ Chengdu Pandas

On the Rio: The Beatles ~ Within You Without You

I had the most wonderful weekend in Chengdu, I almost don't know where to start. But I must admit, I do realize how lucky I am to have gotten a job that provides me the opportunity to have these experiences.

Chengdu is the capital of the Sichuan province. It was settled originally as the Kindom of Shu during the Three Kingdom era (A.D. 220 - 265) and was a jamjor commerical center during the Tang dynasty. It later introduced paper money in the 10th century.

I arrived late on Friday night and went directly to the hotel. My guide, Kevin, arrived at 8:30 for our first stop - the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base. This was timed so we arrived during feeding time when the pandas are most active. It is located only 7 miles (11 km) north of the city and is dedicated to preserving the lineage of the giant panda and red panda. The animals are free to wander through a sizable domain of bamboo groves and forests.

They are divided by age. Giant Pandas can live to almost 18 or 20, and if conditions are good, can have up to 12 babies in a lifetime. They are solitary animals, living in small patches of land, and only get together to mate. The babies cannot see, eat, or go to the bathroom themselves until about 6 months old, so they are continously cared for by nurses. A first-time mother does not know what to do with the baby. I still don't understand how they can survive at all in the wilderness.

The biggest killer of Giant Pandas currently in nature is ingested worms from the bamboo they eat, so in the Research Bases they are served cut bamboo that has been washed. They will take a long stem of bamboo, tear of several leaves into their mouth and then roll up the leaves and take a bite and chew rather methodically, first on the left side of the mouth and then on the right side. They really only move once there is no longer any cut bamboo within their reach.

This year, 9 babies were born at the Base. I had the opportunity to meet and touch one of the pandas. The fur was so soft. They are very gentle creatures, mostly just interested in eating. I'm still smiling!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!