DCDayTripper

Friday, February 16, 2007

2/16/2007 ~ Happy Chinese New Year!

On the Rio: The Dead ~ Fire on the Mountain, Oakland, 12.31.2003


The Government and all the businesses close throughout China from 2/18 -2/21 to celebrate the New Lunar Calendar/Spring Festival. Mostly people return to their homes to stay with relatives. Decorations abound throughout the city, so I will post several of these, often with a traditional theme, or welcoming the year of the pig. Fireworks are a big thing, and people usually wait until New Year's Eve (Saturday) to light them off, but some of my neighbors have started early. I will be on vacation and will not post again before 2/25. I hope you enjoy the photos.


Traditional decorations at a market stall.

Themes in Yu Gardens.










Lanterns above the crowds.


Fireworks outside my window.



Happy New Year! 新年好
gōng xīn