DCDayTripper

Thursday, November 17, 2011

17 Nov 2011 ~ Dragon Fruit

Listening to: Lucinda Williams ~ Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor
 
Just a quick note on the song: I first was exposed to Lucinda Williams after purchasing the Smithsonian's Classic Blues CD. I was greatly pleased to hear it recently revived by my friends Sandy, Joe and Andrea on their streaming Internet show, as well as a live performance by a warm-up band at a concert at the Fox Theatre in Oakland. [Apologies to the warm-up band for not remembering their name at the moment, but I've made a note to research this.]

Happy Birthay to you...here's a toast and special wishes...until we do so in person.


Sorry also for those of you have read my posts in the past on Dragon Fruit. Also known as the ‘strawberry pear’, ‘pitaya’ or ‘pitahaya’ it’s the fruit of a several species of cactus.

When I first arrived in Shanghai several years ago it was my first encounter with this fruit. I now have the opportunity to enjoy it every day! I really like it. When you cut through the flesh – it feels a little like cutting into the skin of a melon – you find the stark contrast of the flesh inside, an opaque white inner with dark seeds throughout ... similar to the seeds found inside a kiwi fruit.


Faced with such a strange looking fruit it may seem a bit intimidating to think how to eat it ... do you bite into it like a apple ... eat the centre like a pomegranate ... was it best raw or cooked? Just peel it  or cut it open as above and enjoy.

Rich in fibre, vitamin C and minerals the dragon fruit is also low in calories ... so an all round good fruit to eat! This fruit is also rich in phytoalbumins which have antioxidant properties. I've also read it helps control levels of glucose blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes.

Try one if you have the opportunity!

When I get tired of fruit...I can always order from Jack's Pizza which is right below my apartment (although I have not tried them yet). Here's the hot line number - do you think they have a delivery in 30 minutes or less policy...and if so, within what kilometer range?

Another interesting point....I never smell pizza. Do they have some magical air vent? Hmmm... all this writing about food is making me very hungry.