DCDayTripper

Saturday, January 21, 2012

21 Jan 2012 ~ Lunar New Year Fair ~ Part 1

Listening to: Peter Rowan & Crucial Reggae ~ Little Maggie, 10/20/2001, Live Oak, FL

I asked several co-workers yesterday what they would be doing to prepare for the Chinese New Year Festivities. Almost everyone aswered "Cleaning my house." I thought it was just part of the fact of having guests coming over, but in fact, prior to the first day of the New Year it is customary for families to thoroughly clean their homes from top to bottom. Doing this is said to clear out any back luck from the previous year and to ready the house to accept good luck for the coming year.
All cleaning must be finished before New Year's Day so there is no chance of accidentally throwing out the good fortune of the new year.

So I also spent my morning cleaning the apartment and sweeping up the terrace.

I then headed off to Victoria Park where the Lunar New Year Fair is held annually.





I didn't think pictures could do this one justice, so I made a video as I started my journey. I'm trying to find out how to upload it since it's 10 minutes. Stay tuned.