DCDayTripper

Friday, March 23, 2012

23 Mar 2012 ~ Bridge of Motherly Devotion (Taroko Gorge)

Listening to: Elvis Presley ~ All Shook Up (16 March 1974, Richmond, VA)

Another pedistrian-only section is the twisting Tunnel of Nine Turns trail.


This trail is  series of short tunnels cut through marble, and the gorge drama reaches its peak here with the narrowest area.

About a mile and a quarter down the way we reached Cimu Bridge, or the Bridge of Motherly Devotion.


It is a good place to view the riverbed with its scattering of huge boulders thrown down from the mountains.


Situated just to the south of the bridge is a large white marble boulder known as Frog Rock. Atop of the boulder is the Orchid Pavilion, ereccted in honor of the late President Chian Ghing-kuo's mother, which subsequently became known as the "crown on the frog king's head."


And then, we went across a foot suspension bridge. Here is Josephine showing us the way and reminding us not hit our heads on the white gate as we step onto the bridge.

Yes, I have to admit I was nervous. My first experience of a suspension bridge was in the summer after fourth grade when we took a family driving vacation to Florida and stopped on the way in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee. I dared to go on an extremely high suspension bridge, and just when I was in the middle, some nasty boys got on one end and started jumping, making the bridge sway to and fro. I was so scared, hung on for dear live, and probably cried when I got off.

But I made it across - and back - this one! Sorry the view is a little shakey, but I was trying to balance after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj2Dig1lJRg