DCDayTripper

Saturday, March 17, 2012

17 Mar 2012 ~ St. Patrick's Day

Listening to: Papa ~ Ain't It So (A Good Woman Is Hard To Find)


Doesn't only take green beer, but thanks for sharing this one.

I remember when I was about 15 or 16 my parents hosted a St. Patrick's Day party. I think it was Uncle Leonard who supplied the pony barrel keg of green beer. We had a couple tables of Sheepshead going on. Aunt Beverly, Donny & Doris, Marty & Judy were there. I think Karen came home after bartending at Dregger's and made us all Tootsie Roll blender drinks. I bet I saw leprechaun's after that event!

I wonder if I started a Sheephead "Meet Up" group in HK if anyone would be interested? I just checked and there currently is not one...

For those of you unaware of this exciting card game, I borrow from Wikipedia:
"It is the Americanized version of a card game that originated in Central Europe in the late 18th century under the German name Schafkopf. Although Schafkopf literally means "sheepshead", it has nothing to do with sheep. The term probably was derived and translated incorrectly from Middle High German and referred to playing cards on a barrel head (from kopf, meaning head, and Schaff, meaning a barrel). In the United States, Sheepshead is most commonly played in Wisconsin,, which has a large German-American population...There are numerous tournaments throughout Wisconsin during the year, with the largest tournament being the "Nationals", held annually...during the first or second weekend in November".


Yes, this is the lively conversation you get from me after a 70 hour work week.

What's this St. Patrick's Day all about? I know there is a patron saint of Ireland, something about chasing out the snakes...

Ok, back to Wikipedia:

Saint Patrick's Day -  a cultural and religious holiday celebrated on 17 March. It commemorates Saint Patrick (c. AD 387–461), the most commonly recognised of the patron saints of Ireland, and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland...Saint Patrick's Day was made an official feast day in the early seventeenth century, and has gradually become a celebration of Irish culture in general. The day is generally characterised by the attendance of church services, wearing of green attire and the lifting of Lenten restrictions on eating, and drinking alcohol.

I love how some religions celebrate the drinking of alcohol and others forbid it.

Enjoy your day!