DCDayTripper

Friday, June 22, 2012

22 June 2012 ~ A Thai Family Reunion - The Food

Listening to: Sandy Rothman ~ Flying South (The Old Road To Home)


I had the fabulous opportunity of being welcomed as an honorary family member for the Thai family reunion.

I woke up at 7am to find that most of the shopping had already been completed and the grill was being started.


Cousin Biu was already starting to peel the carrots for various food dishes.


While sitting down to keep her company, I felt something crawling on my neck, like a fly, but lo and behold, this was my new friend.



For breakfast with coffee, we had warm Thai donuts. These are very similar to the Turkish fried doughs I am familiar with, which would be eaten with white cheese and/or tomatoes and scallions. But the Thai eat them plain.


I tried a new piece of fruit. It tasted like a cross between a pear and a plum.


The whole family gets involved in the food preparation.



And we feast all day long as the various dishes are ready. There is no formal sit down to a meal, we basically ate all day long!



Spring Rolls, Ant Larvae Salad, Mixed Vegetables, Beef Salad, Fish, Green Beans.... Delicious!




The whole fish was superb!