DCDayTripper

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Sept 2012 ~ Beijing Sites

Listening to:  King of Spain ~ Motions (All I Did Was Tell The Truth and They Thought It Was Hell)


Sorry for the delay between posts. Work is keeping me extremely busy....

The Ancient Observatory in Beijing holds 8 astronomical instruments made in the Qing Dynasty. It was built in 1442 and is as known the oldest one of its kind with astronomical instruments preserved in the world.

Unfortunately I did not have time to go inside.


I did make it to the Corner Watchtower. Despite the "face lift" I was able to inside.


This is a former train station inside the walls.


The Ming Dynasty Wall was built in 1419 (the 17th year of the reign of Emporor Yongie). At the southwest corner is the tower build in 1436 (the first year of the reign of Emporor Zhengtong) it is the country's largest and only existing corner tower.


Climbing the stairs takes you inside for a nice but narrow view of Beijing...as well as a museum which I'll post on next time.