DCDayTripper

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

12 Sept 2012 ~ Zacapa Rum

Listening to:   Johnny Winter & Black Kangaroo ~ Come On In My Kitchen (8/10/1973, SF)


On my one night off work this month I went to a rum tasting at my neighborhood club, Angel's Share. This is the same place I've previously been for whiskey tastings.

Tonight was unique in that the drinks were complimentary, so I thought the place would be packed, but it wasn't. Also it was less formal, with only about a 15 minute introduction to rum making, and then after an "on the rocks" tasting, we had the choice between 3 mixes.

I liked the Solaris Journey - it had homemade Cinnamon stick shavings, some whiskey, cacao, white chocolate and orange peel, just to name a few of the ingredients. I wish I had taken pictures, but this was sort of last minute.

But I like the label, and the slogan "Aged Above The Clouds". [Could be a good slogan for a Workday t-shirt or Catina Event.]


Zacapa’s rum is aged in warehouses 8,000 feet above sea level in Tulula, Guatemala, where the temperature is about 62 degrees year round. Master Distiller Lorena Vásquez calls the facility the “house above the clouds.”

While most rums are made from molasses, Zacapa is produced from fresh crushed sugarcane from its own plantation.

The other rum favorite of mine is Pyrat, produced by Patron, by I cannot find that in Hong Kong.

Although I had not been drinking [honest!] in either of these 2 next pictures, it seems appropriate to post them here.

This is an exhibit at the Corner WatchTower Museum in Beijing.


And this was in a neighborhood bar that I really liked the lampshades, so I decided to model with one.


 
 
In the words of William Arthur Ward - "To make mistakes is human, to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity."
 
Boy, I must be really mature, like a fine rum or whiskey!