DCDayTripper

Monday, November 04, 2013

5 November 2013 ~ Around Queenstown

Listening to: Har Mar Superstar ~ Lady, You Shot Me

Before I ventured out to explore the city, I decided to try the Queenstown Brewer's Pilsner, along with the bowl of shelled peanuts provided in my room.



I came across a Wine Tasting bar, but I did not stop. It looked really cool though, with lounge chairs and sofas. You buy a Wine Card/Tasting Glass and then go up to the wine dispensers where you insert your card and select "taste, half or full glass".


Queenstown is in Central Otago, one of the most southerly grape-growing regions in the world. Located at 45 degrees south, it shares unique geographical and climactic conditions with the Burgundy and Rhone regions in France, and Oregon's Willamette Valley, which are 45-47 degrees north. It has an international reputation for Pinot Noir. The first wine-making grapes were planted in Central Otago in 1864 by Frenchman John Desire Feraud.

Fergburger was recommended by a co-worker, but it was so crowded I couldn't even walk in the door!




They have a great website. Check out the link and click the "history" tab...super funny. Note: it will play music so if you are at work or in a public place, be sure to have on headphones or mute your volume.

http://www.fergburger.com/fullscreen.html

I liked this sign because Altitude is the "theme name" of our annual consulting conference.


I finally got tired of walking around in the rain so stopped at the Pub on Wharf.


I sat outside under an umbrella to at least people watch.


But there weren't many people out and about (actually only a about 5 who were leaving the pub).


On the way back to the hotel I spotted this statue of a Moa, which is thought to have become extinct about 200 years ago. But for millions of years it was the largest living animal in New Zealand and the tallest bird in the world at about 3 meters. It had hair similar to an emu, scaly legs. It dwelled in the forest and was an herbivore.


Sure, there were quaint shops of arts and crafts and New Zealand touristy stuff, but I hate shopping, which is why most of my posts are about social activities and nature.