DCDayTripper

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

8/30/06 ~ Yuen Yuen Institue

On the Rio: Ray Charles ~ Makin' Whoopie

After the museum we saw a sign for a temple that wasn't in our guidebooks, so we went for a walk through Tak Wah Park to this temple, but I do not know it's name. It was a very popular local spot, with people making fruit offerings and burning incense sticks, and several attendants folding gold sheets into lotus flowers.



We then took a taxi to the Yuen Yuen Institute.


This institute is a religious one-stop shop, catering to worshipers of Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. There appear to be dormitories and a cafeteria for the monks and nuns. We saw a group of nuns doing a circle walk and we saw some monks studying.

This is the pagoda I mentioned yesterday I could see from my hotel.


There are numerous pavilions and several ponds amongst the peaceful grounds to enjoy.


One pavilion had statues representing each year of the chinese zodiac. I was born in the year of the dragon. Here is the statue representing my year.

We spent a lot of time strolling through the various statue gardens. I will leave you today with several images from that afternoon (although I took about 50 photos, these are my favorite). I hope you find the statues as intersting as I did.