DCDayTripper

Thursday, August 31, 2006

8/31/06 ~ Night Views of Hong Kong

On the Rio: Eric Clapton & Duane Allman ~ Jam, 8/27/1970, Criteria Studios, Miami, FL

The hotel offered complimentary shuttle service into Kowloon, so we rode that. We were dropped off at the waterfront, near the Avenue of Stars, which I showed pictures of from my last trip.

We took the Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor. These vessels cross the harbor 450 times a day, and the one we rode on was 50 years old. It was a bargain for only a quarter.

I had wanted to go to Victoria's peak, and as we walked to the tram line entrance, we walked through the Financial district, and came across these "bulls".

There actually about 30 of these bulls throughout the area, from various countries.

We got to the tram entrance, and the line was incredibly long...worse than rides at Disneyworld or Great America. Since my friend had already been up to Victoria's Peak, we decided to skip the wait and I would try the next day after she left Hong Kong.

Our dinner reservations at Jimmy's Kitchen weren't until 8pm, but we headed over anyway (it was only 6pm) to see if we could get in early. It was fun just wandering the streets and alleys, through parks and skyscrapers to find our destination.

Jimmy's Kitchen was a hoot! It is an English pub that has been around about 70 years. The drink menu made us both laugh, and I felt I was at a 1970s cocktail party: Harvey Wallbangers, Sloe Gin Fizzes, Pink Ladies. But we stuck to the English ales. The dinner menu had fish & chips, bangers (sausage) & mash, chicken a la king, beef strogenoff, steaks, chops, etc. We saved room for dessert, but not the traditional English bread pudding. Instead, I opted for a brandy alexander and PR had a grasshopper. But they were made with milk instead of ice cream...although tasty, a little disappointing.

By the time we left the restaurant, it was dark and all city was a glow. Here is the China Bank building by day and then by night.




It is supposed to represent bamboo. Here is a picture of the Harbor, and the Star Ferry we rode on is on the right.


Here's a picture that turned out kind of trippy.


I was dog tired by time I got back to the hotel. Quick shower and bottle of water, and I was asleep in 5 minutes. It was the best sleep I had in a long time. What a great day!