DCDayTripper

Sunday, November 20, 2011

20 Nov 2011 ~ Mosque & Temple

Listening to: 7 Walkers ~ Space > Sugaree, 2010-12-16, FTC Stage One, Fairfield, CT

I'm having quite the experience with purchasing cookware and learning how to use my Hibachi Induction Cooker. I bought a small fry pan last week -- perfect for frying an egg or quick scramble -- only to get a blinking E1 error message. I gave that pan to my co-worker assuming it was too small or too light.

Today I went shopping to find new cookware, and was very excited to find a Japanese store nearby so I didn't have to go to a big shopping mall. I bought a fry pan and a kettle (to make pasta, soup, etc.). Both are the same size. The fry pan works but the kettle does not. I got out the manual and it appears I must have not only a certain size but also suitable utensils that contain materials of magnetic conductivity. So I made rice in the frying pan....And I have to go shopping again...Ugh.

Today was my "place of worship" tour.

On the way to the shopping adventure, I took these pictures of the Jamia Mosque across from my flat.  It is surrounded by a tranquil, cool garden and the entrance has an elaborate wrought-iron gate.


It's painted a beautiful pale green which this picture does not do justice. The first mosque built on the site was in 1849. For decades most of the worshipers were Punjabi Muslims, many of whom served in Hong Kong's pre-World War II police force. There is not a muezzin who recites the call to prayer at prescribed times of the day.


The lights were on one night and the stained glass windows are spectacular. I hope to get a decent picture of that one night.

I then headed to Man Mo Temple. I love this temple...it is so peaceful and used regularly by locals. One is greeted at the entrance...


I had never seen such large incense spirals before visiting here for the first time in 2005. These can burn for weeks.





This temple was built around 1842. Man is the god of civil servants and of literature. Mo is the god of marital arts and war. Statues of the Eight Immortals stand guard outside the temple; inside, 2 solid brass deer (representing longevity) adorn the main chamber.

And in contrast, I passed this square, unadorned Baptist church....no need to go inside. The same is true of other Christian houses of worship I've seen...just more concrete.