DCDayTripper

Friday, April 13, 2012

13 April 2012 ~ Old Quarter Hotel and Spy Bar

Listening to: Rich Wilbur ~ Milwaukee Here I Come (In The City)

I stayed at the Hanoi Old Quarter Hotel. When booking my hotel I was surprised to learn they actually offered rooms with no windows, so that ended up being a priority for my booking. That and wanting to stay in the Old (French) Quarter, in order to be in walking distance of most things.



The hotel was rated as 3 ***, which I guess I would agree with now that I've been there. It had local charm. Just old, but clean, and interestingly furnished.



The funny thing about the bottles on the top shelf is that they were fake old perfume bottles with solidified colored water (or something).


And the room was spacious (probably as big as my HK apartment!), with a fan and air conditioning.



And a jacuzzi tub.

Breakfast was included. The first morning there was a bowl of eggs sitting on the table, so I assumed they were boiled...but NO...I cracked to peel only to get raw yolk all over my steamed bun. YUCK. I was supposed to ask the staff to fry up an egg for me. I stuck to the yogurt and fried rice (the bacon would have been tasty but horribly undercooked.)


Stopped in for a local beer at the quaint pub about 2 doors down. Definitely a Western scene. But the beers are cold and refreshing.