DCDayTripper

Sunday, November 27, 2011

27 Nov 2011 ~ Sun Yat-sen Museum

Listening to: Kenny Wayne Shepherd ~ Shame, Shame, Shame

Drama in the apartment building yesterday morning. A little boy, perhaps 4 or 5, decided to lock himself into the elevator on my floor. His poor mother was begging him to come out, until finally the fire truck arrived, and forced open the door. I only watched the episode through my peephole.

I bought a printer and a toaster on Friday. I'm almost set on all the essentials, although I still need a few more pieces of cookware, but I'm so hesitant to buy them.

I went to the Dr. Sun Yat-sen Museum today. The museum is housed in a beautifully preserved mansion built in 1914.

Born in Guangdong Province, he studied in Hawaii and practiced medicine in Hong Kong.

In 1911, Sun Yat-sen led a nationalist revolt that eventually toppled the Qing government and established the Republic of China in 1912. The Republic was in name only. Between 1917 and 1925 made 3 attempts to establish a government in Guangzhou, which had always served as a base where Dr Sun hoped to realize his vision of political progress, economic and social development and education.

Unfortunately, unable to take pictures within the exhibition halls, but here is one of a marble screen.


Tourists were invited into the Jamia Mosque today, so I stopped in on my way home. Not the most impressive of interiors as far as mosques go (but then again, I may be spoiled after seeing some of the great ones in Istanbul). When they asked me if I was Catholic, I said no, and when I asked them if they were Sunni, they were quite taken aback, but did not answer. So I was disappointed in that the invitation in was a means to get me to join a class to be taught the "true" teachings of Islam. Even after I mentioned I am quite familiar with Islam (having studied Religions and Middle Eastern/Central Asian History, and have read parts of the translated Koran), they told me what I learned in university and in books would not have been accurate, and I should come to their classes.

But it's not just one faith. I was also approached at the Baptist church today to be baptized. I honestly couldn't tell you the differences between a Baptist and a Catholic or a Lutheran.

I must look like I need religion. Or perhaps the Dead Head shirt I was wearing?

Can't we all just get along without the labels?