DCDayTripper

Thursday, December 08, 2011

8 Dec 2011 ~ Singapore

Listening to: Ricki Lee Jones ~ Nobody Knows My Name, Harmony Music Festival, Sonoma County Fairgrounds, Santa Rosa, CA, 2007-06-09

Hard to believe it was just a week ago I was in Singapore. The only other time I was there was February 2007.

The flight got in from Malaysia around 8:30pm and then I waited for my colleagues to all take a car to the hotel. Although this trip did not leave much time for being a tourist, except a bit for one night, luckily I had a GREAT view from my Mandarin Oriental hotel room.

This is the view and the Largest Ferris Wheel in the world at 42 stories. It takes 37 minutes to make a complete rotation. I think there was a Discovery Channel show on it's construction, as it needs to withstand typhoon strength winds.


My co-worker and I tried to ride the Singapore Flyer ferris wheel, but we got there too late and it was closed. This portrays our sentiment.


This is the view in the other direction of the Marina Bay Sands hotel, with a SkyPark shaped like a ship on the top. 

Went out for dinner at the Long Beach, a premium seafood restaurant known for their chili crab. Although I'm not much of a crab eater, this dish was superb, but messy, as the crab legs are bathed in a chili sauce. Also ate steamed Sea Bass, baby kailan with garlic, and Malay Noodle Fish Sotong. Sorry, by time I got to the restaurant I was starving and forgot to take pictures!

Headed to the SkyPark of the Marina Sands and enjoyed an after dinner Black Russian (that's a drink for those of you who may be confused) while taking in this spectacular view of Singapore (with a light show even).


Happily returned to my hotel room. It's actually bigger then my HK flat. (Oh, yes, I'm learning to speak British English...it's a flat not an apartment, a lift and not an elevator). Unfortunately I had no time to enjoy the bath.




Here are some Xmas decorations. It's hard to be in the Christmas spirit when it's 70 degrees.