DCDayTripper

Saturday, December 03, 2011

4 Dec 2011 ~ Kuala Lumpur Part I

Listening to: Vusi Mahlasela & Friends (Micky Hart, David Hidalgo, and Taj Mahal) ~ One Love (People Get Ready), Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco, CA - March 29, 2007

This past week was a whirlwind of flights / hotels / taxis / and all day meetings.

On Monday morning I picked up my Hong Kong ID Card (now I am officially a resident), which allows some perks such as zipping through the immigration lane at the airport by inserting your card and having a fingerprint scan.

Hong Kong provides superior airport train transportation, and if you have bags to check (which I did not for this short trip), you can check them in at Airport Express and they are transported for you.

Going through security at the airport I was stopped because I foolishly forgot to remove my Swiss Army Knife (again !!) from my purse. I was devastated at the thought of losing another one, as I've lost 2 to security guards previously. But much to my surprise, the security officers said they could hold it, provided me a receipt, as long as I could pick it up within 2 weeks! They were so nice and accommodating. So that's a trip I need to take back to the airport this coming week (my flight home was delayed and I missed the pick-up window).

This was  my first trip to Malaysia.

Flight to from Hong Kong to KL is about 3.5 hours. We stayed at a Shangri-la Hotel.

I got a room with a great view. (Night and sunrise).


Our meeting workshop was held at the customer's Training Facility...we all wish we had brought our swimming suits.
Kuala Lumpur has a tropical rainforest climate which is warm and sunny, along with abundant rainfall, especially during the monsoon season from October to March. We did have rain every day, and it was very humid. Temperatures tend to remain constant, with the maximums hovering between 31 and 33 °C (88 and 91 °F) while minimums hover between 22 and 23.5 °C (72 and 74 °F).